AEG’s aim as a responsible event organiser is to ensure we are working to maximise the ways in which our event makes a positive impact, whilst reducing the negative impacts on the environment and community.
Here are some of the things we do to ensure Firefly is a sustainable and responsible festival:
Waste and recycling
- We divert as much waste as possible from landfills and we encourage our fans to do the same through our recycling rewards program
- Leave No Trace - every single item left in the Woodlands is picked up either by our amazing fans or our litter team
- We work with Code Purple to collect food, tents, sleeping bags, chairs, air mattresses and many other items left behind in our festival and campgrounds. The goods are then repurposed to benefit the less fortunate throughout the state of Delaware
- We encourage all fans to bring reusable water bottles and hydration packs that can be filled at one of our multiple bottle fill locations throughout the Woodlands
- Each year we work on improved solutions to combat single-use plastic
Travel & transport
- We advise all visitors to choose greener travel options, such as public transport, shuttles, carpools and arriving by bike or scooter
- AEG are committed to using sustainably and locally sourced materials, equipment and products, with the aim of reducing travel miles
- All of our fresh water comes from our on site mains and wells rather than being tankered to site, thereby eliminating transport emissions
- We utilize low flow shower heads at every shower facility in the Woodlands
- Our flushable vacuum toilets help reduce the amount of fresh water needed throughout the festival and campgrounds
- We utilize existing power on the property and have installed permanent power in multiple other locations to minimize our dependency on generators
- We work with our power providers to maximise efficiency, monitor energy use, minimise emissions and prevent pollution
- When feasible, we opt for solar light towers over the alternative
Local area impact
- Local community engagement is key to delivering the events. AEG works year round alongside local stakeholders and the local communities who are consulted throughout the planning stages and the events
- Our team plans around Noise, Traffic and Ingress and Egress are developed to minimise impact of these on the surrounding residents
- As part of the events’ commitment to the local community, opportunities are provided for a range of local businesses, operators, suppliers and performance content to become part of our journey
- Employment and training opportunities are provided for local colleges and universities
What You Can Do:
We’re doing our best to reduce our environmental impact and hope you will join us in our efforts. Here are a few tips to make your visit more environmentally friendly:
- Consider public transport, shuttles, walking, biking and carpooling to reduce your carbon footprint.
- Help us increase our recycling rate by adhering to the recycling system and placing all waste and recyclables into the correct designated bins which are signposted throughout the site. If you aren’t sure where to put something, please ask!
- Bring your own reusable water bottles and hydration packs to help cut down on waste.
- Use only as many disposable items (e.g., paper towels, napkins, utensils) as you need.
- Please respect the neighbourhood and our neighbors by staying off of private property and picking up after yourself.